As you may know the amazingly clever people at pointclouds.org haven been working on an opensource implementation of the Kinect Fusion algorithm.
The original Microsoft Research implementation:
The open source Pointclouds.org PCL implementation:
It’s still in development and experimental, and only available as part of their unstable PCL coding libraries.
But out of curiosity I tried compiling the latest code from their svn repository to see it in real life. And I thought I’d provide it here for any non coders that are interested in it.
Keep in mind a few things though:
- I have not coded this, it’s the clever work of the people at pointclouds.org
- I currently don’t have any plans to integrate this with Brekel Kinect (yet)
- It may not be very useful at the moment, besides a technology preview
- As this is CUDA (GPU) accelerated, you NEED an Nvidia graphics card (probably of the 400 or 500 series), with recent drivers
- You need the very latest OpenNI drivers installed and working (try my 220.127.116.11 auto installer)
- No guarantees or support from me if it doesn’t work 🙂